Frequently Asked Questions

Yes.  To be fair, all crayons sold in the USA to children as toys are required to be tested and proven non-toxic (see ASTM F963 Toy Safety Standards).  And ours conform to the highest standards worldwide which is EN71 (European Toy Safety Standards).   However, beware of some crayons that are being sold as “stationary or office supply” products and are not being tested.  Those crayons should be banned from sale until they can prove they are not a hazard.

They seem to be normal crayons just in the shape of rocks to help with grip for small children. So that would suggest no. I have not tried.

 

They are solid. That means they don't break easily and wear down slowly.

Yes, we have been tested for ASTM D 4236, ASTM F 963, CPSIA, EN71 by Bureau Veratis, an international product testing organization, and for all we are certified lead free.

 

Made in Hestand, KY, USA in a shop on a hill in rural Kentucky.

Yes, they are vegan!

ALL crayons are choking hazards IF inhaled.  To date, we have never had a report of any child inhaling them and that’s 14 years and millions of crayons.  BUT we don't recommend giving them to children under 3 years of age OR to any child that cannot understand and follow this direction: "these crayons are not food, do not put them in your mouth."  Some children do munch them up, but at that point, they are no longer a choking hazard and since they are non-toxic they aren’t a swallowing hazard either (although they don’t taste very good!)

Yes, they are.

No, the size was very carefully chosen by special education teachers and occupational therapists to fit the grip of children between the ages of 3 and 8 and promote a tripod grip.  It is actually the best size for that age group, which is why we say, “Simply the best first coloring tool for young children”.

I wouldn’t use them for that. They are usual crayons in unusual form. And,yes,you can wipe them off from smooth surfaces.

The manufacturer of Crayon Rocks. I have used our crayons to coat wood but I don't think the finished result is completely satisfactory. Usually the color continues to come off on things as you use the toy even if you "sink it in" with say a hot air hair dryer. If you are really committed, I would put the color on first an then add ANOTHER layer of wax that has no color. Probably you shouldn't use it on toys or things that are going to get rubbed a lot. Unique idea though. !

 

It handles well; same as paper

Soy oil, and thus soy wax, has no genetic material in that genes reside only in DNA which is only in cells.  Soy oil is a molecule extracted from the soy bean seed, so in that sense our soy wax does not have any genetically modified material in it.  Nevertheless, 89% of the soy beans grown in the USA are genetically modified plants.  The remaining 11% is expensive and used in food.  To change this, everyone will need to vote to require product labeling.  If soy products are mandatorily labeled as GMO or non-GMO, then consumers can manipulate the supply with their spending dollars.  This will force growers to respond by growing NON-GMO soy which means it will be available for purchase by mfgs like Crayon Rocks.

That is called “bloom” and it occurs with any soy product, often seen on chocolate.  It has to do with the fats in the soy wax.  Once the crayons are rubbed or used, that tends to go away and not reappear.

They are 1 ¾ inch by ¾ inch by ¾ inch.  About the same volume as a stick crayon just compact.  Larger than a quarter ($.25) but smaller than a fifty cent ($.50) piece.

The crayons are solid but all wax shrinks as it cools thus leaving a small hole at the spot that cools last.